STCW Proficiency as Ship Security Officer - Cruise Ships
COURSE FEE AND BOOKING
Course fee: £560,00 + VAT
The course fee is charged in GBP. Country-specific VAT is applied at the checkout.
Booking: This online course is delivered through VirSec platform. To proceed with the booking, click here. You will be redirected to the VirSec platform shopping cart to complete your purchase.
This is a mandatory training requirement under STCW ISPS for members of a Ship’s Crew fulfilling the role of Ship Security Officer appointed by the Shipping Company. The course teaches the learner to ensure both the security of the ship, as well as the implementation and support of the Ship Security Plan. This course has been specifically tailored for crew & staff of Cruise Ships.
The course is fully approved and certified under the UK Department for Transport Maritime & Coastguard Agency [MCA] and meets with Regulation VI/5, paragraph 1, and Section A-VI/5, paragraphs 1 to 4 of the STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended. Ship Security Officer certification incorporates both the Security Awareness and Designated Security Duties certification.
The course duration is approximately 21 hours. A slight variation is allowed for individual reading speeds, but this minimum must be met in order to successfully pass this course. Learners may enter and exit the course as often as they require. Your licence allows you access to the course for up to 6 months to complete (if required) or upon successful completion of the course.
The course meets with the following learning outcomes:
- The learner understands the importance of ship security and the roles and responsibilities of organisations and individuals involved in it.
- The learner knows how to assess security risk, threat and vulnerability to the ship, its personnel, cargo, and operations.
- The learner understands the capabilities and limitations of security methods, equipment, and systems.
- The learner knows how to implement a ship security plan and related regulatory requirements.
- The learner knows how to determine the effectiveness of current security arrangements, procedures, and equipment.
- The learner understands how to promote security awareness and vigilance on board ship.
Those undertaking the training must have either:
- Approved seagoing service of not less than 12 months or,
- At the discretion of the MCA, appropriate sea service (minimum three months) and knowledge of ships operations to enable them to achieve the objectives of the training.
Note: Learners who do not possess the required seagoing service or have received the MCA discretion clause will be awarded the Proficiency in Designated Duties (PDSD) Certificate, which will be upgraded free of charge once they are able to demonstrate the required minimum requirements.
All our courses are conducted in English. A sufficient level of understanding and speaking is required in order to successfully complete the course. Contact us if you have any questions.
Before booking the course, please make sure you read the course delivery, deposit and cancellation policy.